Last year, in conjunction with Orange Splot, I coordinated the Pedalpalooza Accessory Dwelling Tour and Tiny House Tour, which each drew around 100 riders. This year I’m co-coordinating with Kimber, who has completed the Oregon Tradeswoman pre-apprenticeship program and now helps out with Portland Alternative Dwellings once in a while.
We decided to host both tours on the same day this year so that people who are curious about small spaces can see a wide variety of them in real life. The tours are guided by a fabulous bunch of small space builders, designers, owners, and inhabitants, so it will be a great chance to ask questions. We have a great line up again this year.
On the Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Tour, riders will see:
- A super energy-efficient basement apartment built by Shelter Wise
- A backyard cottage built as a sister-in-law house by Small Home Oregon
- An eco-friendly and accessible granny flat in an idyllic setting, which was My Summer Garden Cottage last year
- A basement mother-in-law which provides flexibility for an extended family
- A set of houses with ADUs that create a little community called Sabin Green
- A house with two detached accessory structures in a garden setting called Ruth’s Garden Cottages
On the Tiny House Tour we will showcase:
- A tiny house built for a couple and their cat
- A garden cottage by Small Home Oregon
- The world’s first tiny house hotel called The Caravan, which features 3 tiny houses (one of which I built last summer as my Yestermorrow Practicum project!)
Those who choose to join us for both tours are in for an epic adventure!
I’m still in touch with many people I met during the tours last year, so I’m looking forward to meeting this year’s riders. We have received more than a dozen inquiries about the tour, many of them from folks who are coming from out-of-state for the tour. There are no RSVPs required, so come join us if you’re able!
- Pedalpalooza ADU Tour (9AM-1PM), staring point Shelter Wise’s ADU (2726 NE 66th Ave, Portland, OR 97213)
- Pedalpalooza Tiny House Tour (2PM-5PM), starting point Rigler Elementary School (5401 NE Prescott Street, Portland, OR 97218)