Update on Tiny Barn Build

Several of you have requested an update on the Tiny Barn Build, so I’ve uploaded a slideshow below so that you can see the progress. Enjoy!

As many of you know, I spent my spring break helping a friend build the shell of a tiny house. You can view daily progress of the intensive build week in the following albums: Day 1: Tiny House Foundation, Day 2: Tiny House Wall Framing, Day 3: Tiny House Subfloor & Sheathing, Day 4: Tiny House Plumbing & Wiring Begins, Day 5: Tiny House Takes Shape, Day 6: Tiny House Windows, and Day 7: Roofing in the Rain. I recapped the week in Tiny House Build Week: Lessons Learned.

Because of inclement weather (read: spring in Portland, OR), we didn’t quite get the house “blacked in” during that intensive build week, so I helped out in between classes Wrapping Up the Tiny Barn Exterior. (For those of you who want to geek out on the details of connecting a tiny house to a trailer, you can find them in Tiny Barn Build: Construction Details.) Once the exterior was complete, I helped my friend move her tiny house into its new home. She has continued working on it over the past couple months and has hired a friend who is a very talented woodworker to do much of the work. Stay tuned for more photos!

This entry was posted in building, tiny house and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Update on Tiny Barn Build

1. Will you tell me more about the veneer plywood? I love the look and would love to test it with a whitewash. Where did you buy? What size? How much per sheet? Thank you so very much, my friend!

• Little Life says:

Hi Drew, the veneer plywood is from a place here in Portland called Mr. Plywood (http://www.mrplywoodinc.com). It’s famous for having a huge range of plywood and paneling options so it has a loyal following. The sheets are 8×4 but I’m not actually sure how much they cost because I didn’t do the purchasing. They’re definitely pricier than regular plywood, but oh-so-beautiful!

2. Diane says:

Gorgeous! It took me several viewings to realize that the door is on the side, not on an end. How nice that is, since it permits that lovely, longer window seat to be built in beneath the picture window.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a gambrel roof used on a tiny house, and it makes so much sense in terms of giving more headspace in the sleeping loft.

Does it increase the overall height of the house to have this type of roof?

• Little Life says:

Hi Diane, yes, the door on the side works really well for this house in the location for which it was built. There’s nice connectivity to the host house. And, as you noticed, it allows the windowseat to run the full width of the house.

I hadn’t seen a gambrel roof on a tiny house before either, but several tiny house enthusiasts I know said they’ve been thinking about it. I’d actually been thinking about it for another house but for some reason didn’t imagine this particular tiny house with a gambrel roof until a friend suggested it. We’re so glad she did! It doesn’t actually increase the overall height of the house. It’s still under the road legal limit of 13’6.” In fact, that’s the great thing about the gambrel roof – it maximizes the space in the loft without going outside the size limitations! I imagine we’ll be seeing more of them.

• Little Life says:

Comment from Diane: I am curious if you are going to use the Fencl plans to build yourself the same tiny house that you have been renting. If not, what are the drawbacks of the Fencl that would have you choose a different house plan? I’ve been very attracted to a few small house plans, with the Fencl high up the list. But I’d love to see one in person. Thanks!

Response: Hi Diane, nope, I’m not planning to use Fencl plans when I build my tiny house. I’ll be using a design of my own. I have really enjoyed the modified Fencl I’ve been living in though! It feels roomy, partially because it has the two skylights, partially because the floor plan of the open space is wide open with moveable furniture, and partly because the window seat brings in so much light. But the window seat is too small for two people to sit comfortably unless they know each other pretty well and are pretty comfortable with each other. And I don’t like having the tiny porch (which you can read about in my post Shrinky-Dink Porches if you haven’t found it already). I’m also not a huge fan of the bathroom kitchen set up. The bathroom walls provide structural support for the sleeping loft which is great, but I spend so little time in the bathroom it almost feels like wasted space. Having the kitchen under the loft provides nice vertical storage options (see my post Smaller than a Breadbox for more on that!) but it does make it a little dark unless the lights are on.

Are you planning to build yourself a Tumbleweed house? Which ones are you looking at?

• Diane says:

I’m very interested in tiny homes, for the future, but at this point, we are a family of four living in one home together. My husband thinks I’m nuts for being interested. One of my daughters is fascinated too, because she’d like to move out on her own, without roommates, and a tiny wheeled home makes some sense. I really like the Tumbleweed houses… esp. the Fencl and esp. the XS House. But my absolute favorite tiny home that I’ve seen is one called ProtoHaus, which was featured on the Tiny House Blog. It has dormer windows in the loft, which also make that space seem more bright and open. And it has a larger, open kitchen/living plan, which is very nice. Have you seen that one? It’s in Lloyd Kahn’s latest shelter book, too… and there is a web site with some photos at http://www.protohaus.moonfruit.com/

3. Pingback: Summer Dream Job: Tiny House Design-Building | | This Is The Little LifeThis Is The Little Life

4. Pingback: The 100 Thing Challenge: Who’s Counting Anyway? | | This Is The Little LifeThis Is The Little Life

5. Pingback: The Proof is in the Practicum | | This Is The Little LifeThis Is The Little Life

6. nancy says:

what are the dimensions of the trailer base for this tiny barn? and what are the pitch on the gambrel roof?

• Little Life says:

Hi Nancy,

The trailer is 8.5′ x 20′. I don’t actually remember the pitches of the gambrel roof… The roofer worked them out and we built them from his template but I don’t have a record anymore of what they are. Sorry!